Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Portacath Surgery

Today Dave had surgery to have his port placed where they will inject his chemo.  They placed it on the right side of his chest.  The surgery was only about 45 minutes, but we were at the hospital for over 4 hours for prep and recovery.  Everything went great except as he was recovering he kept saying that he couldn't move his right arm and it was totally asleep.  The nurse thought that was strange and had never seen that happen to anyone else who had had this surgery.  She brought in an anesthesiologist and he said that Dave's doctor had ordered the maximum dose of local anesthesia (which they normally don't do for this surgery.)  He said they usually only give that amount to someone who is having shoulder surgery and that he should be careful with his arm and keep it in a sling so he doesn't injure it.  So poor Dave is not only recovering from all of his incisions, but now is also unable to use his right arm for a few days.  That's just not right to go in to have something implanted in your chest and to walk out with a sling....ya, I guess you just got to laugh about that one.

...One other thing I forgot to mention, but this will really make you laugh.  You all know Dave has an incredible sense of humor and let me tell you, it's magnified when he is on a few drugs.  He said a lot of crazy stuff as he was recovering, but his mom was telling him about how she and Steve had the Roto-Rooter guy come over.  Dave said, "You guys really need to start eating more fiber."

6 comments:

  1. That is kind of funny...one of those things you will look back on and laugh about. I hope his arm is working soon! Glad that this little surgery went well otherwise, I have been wondering about you guys today. ;oD

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a bunch of crap on both of those stories. lol I can't believe the dr. did that!! Fiber....that's a great Christmas idea :) :) Thanks for keeping us updated. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously???? Some doctors really shouldn't be doctors. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good attitude he has! I hope he gets his arm back soon, that's frustrating!!! I hope I never have to get drugs, I'm sure I'd embarrass myself horribly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kristin...I am just sick reading about this...I am so sorry that you have to face this awful trial, but I am so amazed at your positive attitude and I definitely could learn something from you...I hope you don't mind me reading and following you and your family...chin up!

    And your girls are so cute!

    Amy (Belnap) Barton

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man we love you guys! Kristin, you were hand picked for Dave by the almighty that's for sure! I am so glad Dave has you by his side! I HATE HATE HATE that Dave is going through this, cancer sucks! I cant believe the Dr! What the CRAP?!
    Dave's sense of humor always comes shining through... one of my favorite things about that guy! Hang in there!! This will all soon be just a memory and you two will be the stonger and the better for it.
    Love all 4 of you so much!
    Kee and Fam

    ReplyDelete